Black History Month @ The Carr Center is sponsored by Love, Tito’s
Feb 1 :
- On February 1st The Carr Center launches a new partnership with the Google Arts & Culture Virtual Gallery starting with “Rock My Soul : The Black legacy of Rock and Roll.” This groundbreaking exhibition was organized by the Carr Center in partnership with The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame & Museum in 2004 and went on to tour nationally. The exhibition captures ‘the soul of rock and roll’ as seen through the eyes of 10 Detroit artists.
- “The Carr Center Presents…” The Broadcast Premiere of our original 10 part performance series begins with a tribute to Naomi Long Madgett, Detroit’s Poet Laureate. The series continues every Tuesday night at 7pm exclusively on City of Detroit Cable Ch. 22
- “We’re A Wonder,” Opens in The Carr Center Gallery, 15 E. Kirby Street, Detroit. A traveling exhibition developed in collaboration with the Harvey Museum of Art that explores the fullness of Black experience in America and abroad. Exhibiting artists Ervin A. Johnson, Jamea Richmond-Edwards and Olivier Souffrant. Go to our website for gallery hours and Covid-19 protocols. the carrcenter.org
- “The Carr Center Presents…” continues with “Duos & Duets” our 7-part original concert series, curated by our Artistic Director and 3X Grammy Award winner Terri Lynne Carrington. Part one features Terri Lyn herself and Panamanian jazz piano virtuoso, Danilo Perez. Airing on City of Detroit Cable Ch 22 @ 7pm.
- “The Carr Center Presents… Duos & Duets, part 2,” featuring early R&B icon, Patrice Rushen, who today is considered one of the world’s top jazz pianists and Billy Childs 5X grammy award-winning pianist, Billy Childs. Airing on City of Detroit Cable Ch 22 @ 7pm
- “A Season Spectacular,” An ENCORE Livestream Presentation of our star-studded 30th Anniversary Season Opener featuring Patrice Rushen, Terri Lyne Carrington, Rodney Whitaker, Kevin Harris. Brandee Younger, Jazzmeia Horn and The Gathering Orchestra Nonet. Visit our website to register for your direct access link. Presented in partnership with Jazzcorner. thecarrcenter.org
- “The Carr Center Presents… Duos & Duets part 3,” featuring Ben Williams, one of the most acclaimed and versatile bassists in modern jazz and multi-Grammy award-winning drummer Marcus Gilmore plus their special guest vocalist extraordinaire Jean Baylor. Airing on City of Detroit Cable Ch 22 @ 7pm
- We end the month with a blowout LIVE event a Jazz Tribute to the Genius of Stevie Wonder with musical direction by 3X Grammy Award Winner, Terri Lyne Carrington. Featuring Kevin Harris, Gregoire Maret, Michael Mayo, Frank McComb, Keyanna Hutchinson and Dwight Adams. “To Stevie, with love,” is sponsored by Love, Titos and will take place in the Ford Theater, Detroit School of Arts, 123 Selden St. @ 7:30pm. This concert will also be available as a LIVEStream event. For details and tickets click here: To Stevie, with love
COVID-19 SAFETY POLICIES AND PROTOCOLS MUST BE OBSERVED WHEN ATTENDING CARR CENTER EVENTS IN PERSON… INCLUDING PROOF OF VACCINATION AND SOCIAL DISTANCING .