The Carr Center is proud to announce our first Arts Competition which will be open to students of the Detroit Metropolitan area. During these challenging times of Coronavirus, Black Lives Matter, Climate Change, Social Injustice and unrest, artists are often compelled to express their ideas and perspectives to help drive and initiate social, political and environmental change. It is during these difficult times, past and present, that some of our greatest and most prolific artists, from various artistic disciplines, have emerged.
The theme of this competition is “A New Awakening” and is designed to inspire students to think and express their feelings about “the now” while motivating and providing a vehicle for young people to articulate ways in which they can contribute to shaping, changing and reimagining the future. Outstanding works from each category will be featured in a future exhibit in one of our new virtual galleries.
Details pertaining to The New Awakening Competition are as follows:
- Visual Arts-Drawing in oil, pencil or watercolors. Works using textiles, sculpture or metals.
- Literary Arts-Poem, Haiku, short story
- Dance-Original choreography, solo or group
- Music-Original vocal or instrumental music, original composition
- Junior Division: Middle School / 6th to 8th grades
- Senior Division: High School / 9 to 12th grades
- $500.00 1st place winner per division
- $200.00 2nd place winner per division
- $100.00 3rd place winner per division
- All works should be entered via Submittables
- Submissions are due by Monday April 5, 2020
- Winner’s announced: Monday April 19, 2021
ALL DECISIONS WILL BE FINAL!
If you have any questions please contact our Arts Academy Coordinator, Gina Ellis