The Carr Center is proud to announce our second year for “A NEW AWAKENING” a Detroit area Youth Arts Competition. It will be open to all students of the Detroit Metropolitan area. During these challenging times of Coronavirus, Black Lives Matter, Climate Change and Social Injustice, artists are often compelled to express their ideas and perspectives to help drive and initiate social, political and environmental change. It is during these difficult times, past and present, that some on our greatest and most prolific artists, from various artistic disciplines, have emerged.
The theme of this competition is designed to inspire students to think and express their feelings about “the now” while motivating and providing a vehicle for young people to articulate ways in which they can contribute to shaping, changing and reimagining the future.
Details pertaining to The New Awakening Competition are as follows:
- Visual Arts-Drawing in oil, pencil or watercolors
- Works using textiles, sculpture or metals
- Literary Arts-Poem, Haiku, short story
- Dance-Original choreography, solo or group
- Music-Original vocal or instrumental music, original composition
- Junior Division: Middle School/6th to 8th grades
- Senior Division: High School/9 to 12th grades
Awards: $500.00 winner in each division
Deadlines: All works should be entered via Submittable
Submissions will be accepted beginning on January 17th.
ALL DECISIONS ARE FINAL!
If you have any questions, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org